Growing Up

15 and I went to see the doctor this morning for various reasons.

Years ago, when the boys were toddlers they'd go running into the doctor's office and leap at him and he'd throw them into the air, make lots of noise, shake them up etc, have fun with them (that's depending on what was wrong with them of course, he wasn't shaking and throwing about children that could possibly vomit all over him).

Today, I sat back and watched him prodding and poking at 15's stomach, (15 was lying on the bed his feet almost dangling off the edge) and 15 was having a mature articulate conversation about Japan with him.

It made me feel proud of how my son had grown into such a mature young man....but old when I thought back to the high pitched squeals and laughter my toddlers had shared with this man whom they both trusted so much.

The only thing that hadn't changed was the way 15's facial features contort when confronted with the fact he's about to have blood tests.

I'm going to be 40 this year and although I don't feel 40 years old, that means I'm supposedly a 'grown up' in the real world.

Sometimes I get so tired of being the one that makes all the decisions in this house...I always talk to the boys about any major changes or decisions that need to come about....I like to think we're a democratic household and take all opinions into consieration before giving the final verdict...but the bottom line is...the buck stops here with me.

Sometimes it would be nice, just for a change, to have someone else calling the shots.

Comments

  1. Right, here's a shot I'm calling. Go and buy yourself a very expensive bottle of wine and drink it all (maybe sharing tiny sips with your two cool sons) while patting yourself on the back for a really cool blog.

    I can't believe I've just discovered you and you've even got me on your links - thanks.

    I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is when they get older and are living on their own you will be the one they confide in.
    Hang in there. Being responsible is hard work but the payoff is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. If I let DH call the shots, we would be on our way to hell in a handbasket (Whatever that means. Just thought it sounded cool). Hence, I am decision-lady. It's tiring, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too...

    I sometimes wish my husband would turn into Mr Protector, and protect me like a little wifey... but it is NEVER that way. I basically call all the shots. Sometimes I word it in such a way that my husband thinks he made a decision, but he never does. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments. Take no notice of me, I was feeling sorry for myself about days gone by lol Coming up to 40 in June is making me somewhat reflective recently. Maybe not a bad thing. I reckon if someone else actually tried coming in here and calling the shots they'd be barked out the door by me now anyway lol I'm the watch house controller in my domain and it would take a strong person to try over-riding that lol. (Man, I just made myself sound like a bitch *sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
  6. bitch is beautiful~sounds like you have a nice family & that you will still be young when they are out of the house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

*gasp* Who IS that masked font?

A Wandering Post