Car Maintenance Required - Apply Within

The other day, one of the nurses husbands rang and asked if he could leave a message for his wife. He wanted to know if he should pick her up a new window wiper blade and run over and put it on her car. Earlier in the day it was sunny...that afternoon it started to rain. How thoughtful and caring was that of him to worry that she needed a new blade to replace the 'floppy' one?

This is what I miss. Only a very small part of having someone special in your life, and someone that you can do those little extra bits and pieces for that make all the difference to their day too.

Are you lot getting tired of this stuff yet? Because I have plenty more where it's coming from I'm afraid. I'm also quite likely to be repeating and contradicting myself from post to post. I've been doing a fair amount of thinking (imagine that?) and reflecting about the ins and outs of coupledom versus single life.

Maybe this has something to do with being over 40? Isn't that around the age we're supposed to start trying to find ourselves? I'm too big to get lost these days, but I find myself pondering on a regular basis just how green the grass on the other side actually is.

There is definitely a feeling of security being part of a couple. As time goes on you start reading each other so well there is not always a need for words. The tiny details....the expression on their face...how they have their coffee or tea etc. You both go about your daily lives in a routine knowing the other person is going to be there for you. A safety net I guess in some ways. I daresay some would think they're in a rut and want to break out of the hum drum of daily routined life.

Then there's that warm rush of new discovery. What lays behind the 'dating' facade? Let's face it, most of us are on our best behaviour with a new date right? Lots of questions...what that other person is all about, their likes/dislikes. Of course you have the added bonus of being able to do what you please, when and if you please. No need to inform another person of what you're up to. You don't have to clear it with the mothership, and like the proverbial Nike ad, you just do it! Aaah the freedom.

One side is akin to an old comfy pair of slippers. They're there each night you come home from a busy day...comfortable, faithful...familiar and moulded to your shape. You put your feet into them with almost the same feeling as sinking into a hot bath. They live at the foot of your bed, ready to be worn at a moment's notice.

The other side can be like a new set of heels. You jam your feet into them, wondering if you'll keep upright and how many aches and pains you'll have to put up with on the journey. They can be thrown to the back of the wardrobe until you decide to try them out again.

Personally I prefer the comfy slippers, but that could be because my feet are sore and bent out of shape from wearing heels for too long. And besides, I think at least one of my wiper blades could need replacing, or it will by the time I'm done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*gasp* Who IS that masked font?

A Wandering Post