History Repeating Itself

Yesterday, I went into the local menswear store to buy him a new pair of jeans (he was at work already). The young lady behind the counter said to me "You're Cameron's Mum aren't you?"...apparently she'd only left his school the month before. After replying yes, I asked her what size she thought he might be, it'd been a while since I bought pants for him.

She immediately said "90cm". That was pretty much around what I'd thought myself. He's grown a fair bit more this year...taller and broader. I'm his Mum, I should have some idea right? She didn't even have to think about it...she knew. You know what that means don't you? That girl's been checking out my son's body! (Not only does she know his jean measurement, she is also now aware of what size underwear he takes lol.)

Last night he brought me the form for next year's courses. He's chosen his university entrance subjects and needed me to sign my approval. At the top of the form was a section that asked for a short reason as to why these subjects were chosen. He'd written "Future within the computer industry based in a foreign country." I know it's what he's wanted for the longest time now...but knowing that didn't make it any easier to read. He looked at the expression on my face, put his arm around me and said "Don't worry Mum, I can always fly you out to be with me sometimes." (I guess that means he has plans to win the lottery too. Go son!)

This morning when I dropped him off to school he got out of the car, warmly greeting a young lady as she'd just been dropped off herself. I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself, I had to take a second look at her. If my son is going to say hello so warmly to another female...I'm a'gonna be a'lookin', k? Girls. *sigh* There are girls finally coming into my older son's life. Ryan? I've got used to that, he's more outgoing and openly charming and his girlfriend is lovely. I can cope with it with him.

Cameron? Well...no. As charming and respectful as he is to the females on this planet, he's shown no sign of being that interested in them. It's surprised me in some ways but he's very like his Uncle. David had no interest in girls until the 6th form. Cam's in the 6th form this year. Bingo. Game on. Mum is not allowed to say anything out loud about girls and Cameron. I am only permitted to yell "Nooooooooo!"...where noone can hear me...like in my mind. That's an echo chamber if you haven't already guessed, and that "No" can bounce around in there infinitely when it comes to this subject.

Regardless of what age either of my children are, like any parent, I will never stop worrying about their welfare. I will cry when they're broken hearted and scream in jubilation at each of their triumphs. It'll be a little difficult if one (or both) of them is in a bloody different country of course (namely Japan)...but I'll still do it nonetheless.

17 years ago today, my oldest son was born. Four hours of labour, 12 minutes of pushing, a few complications and he came into this world at 4.55am. He arrived on the exact date he was due and he's been as precise ever since.

17 years ago my life changed in more ways than I could have possibly imagined. 17 years ago I had a mental growth spurt overnight and started on the winding road of parenthood, yet to discover the emotional rollercoaster of what that actually meant. 17 years ago today, his father and I gazed down at him in his crib...his Dad saying with awe and pride "Look what we made."

And 17 years later, I look up at Cameron and think to myself..."Yeah. We did good...real good."

****
It might seem like it, but I really haven't forgotten about the questions in my comments back down there. I will answer them in the next week or so, I promise. Due to the state of health of this household and the beginning of prelim exams etc, time appears to be running against us faster than usual!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*gasp* Who IS that masked font?

A Wandering Post