Mutiny on the County

Today is New Zealand's general election, so I took myself off to the voting booth and cast my ballot. I have to say that the American election has considerably paled New Zealand's for me (and probably many of us). I had far more interest in the US Elections...I almost forgot I was supposed to vote today.

I was so pleased to see Obama won. I'm not an avid follower of politics at all. I wouldn't have a clue about left wing, right wing etc, it all comes together as blah blah blah in my head. I read an article in Time Magazine last month that only confirmed my thoughts on Obama being the right man for the job. He seems a very humble person and his victory speech further strengthened my view.

I felt McCain's speech was gracious and respectful. What on earth could he have been thinking to make that woman his wing 'man'. I find it hard to believe that people would vote for someone that obviously needed to spend time taking care of her own family...how were those that voted for her expecting her to look after theirs? I cringed every time she opened her mouth. This is of course only my uneducated political opinion, but shit, ya know?

ANYWAY...I grew up in a staunch Labour Party household. My parents supported Labour for many years and I, not having a political bone in my body, voted right alongside them. I've always voted Labour because of it, always. Until today.

Today I defected, I crossed enemy lines and cast my vote for the National Party. I stood in the voting booth staring at what I felt were my only two choices amongst a list of various parties and almost puked when I ticked the National box lol. The lady in the booth next to me, looked over and said "Well that was just too easy." I didn't bother asking, I'm sure you're not supposed to, so I don't know who she voted for...but I didn't find it easy at all.

I was hoping to have some kinda milestone moment with Cameron, now that he's old enough to do the deed. I was going to proudly walk in beside him as we went to vote together haha. But nope, he wouldn't get out of bed when I wanted to go. Besides he already thinks I'm daft enough, he would have been mortified if I tried taking a photo of him dropping his paper into the box lol.

I walked out feeling quite ill...stupid I know...but as I continued my way back to the car I thought..."No, fuck it, I'm fed up, it's time for a change." SO, changes are abound from one side of the globe to the other! And regardless of how our government change affects me, I'm still gonna feel more interested in what your new government is up to lol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*gasp* Who IS that masked font?

A Wandering Post